Commitments to action Food Producers’ Declaration for the UN Food Systems Summit International Pole and Line Foundation (IPNLF); Intercontinental Network of Organic Farmers Organisations (INOFO);
Commitments to action
Reduction of Food Loss and Waste
Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry
The first and most comprehensive initiative which covers all sectors and all food products and also handle food banking practices for reducing food loss and waste by the Republic of Turkey is the Save Your Food Campaign. In May 2020, Turkey launched Save Your Food Campaign in cooperation with FAO. The aims of the campaign are:
- to combat against food losses and waste both at national and international level
- to raise public awareness on food losses and waste
- to create a role-model by extending good practices on food losses and waste implemented in the world, in Turkey and also other countries.
- to support national Zero Waste Project
To this end, the Ministry and FAO have organized a series of events with the involvement and assistance of relevant stakeholders to contribute to the planning and implementation of activities to be realized within the scope of the campaign. Turkey, in cooperation with all countries and relevant stakeholders, aims to intensify efforts at regional, national and international levels, to reduce and prevent food loss and waste. Within the campaign, ‘Turkey’s National Strategy Document On Prevention, Reduction and Monitoring of Food Loss and Waste and Its Action Plan‘ was prepared. The most important objective of the National Strategy Document is to ensure that action is taken to prevent food loss and waste through the adoption of concrete solutions drawing on the advice of concerned stakeholders and local perspectives. The following points are summarized in the National Strategy Document and Action Plan.
- Raise awareness of the causes of food loss and waste, and promote solutions and training on prevention and reduction
- All actors of the food supply chain, including households, to measure, monitor and evaluate food loss and waste
- Build capacity among different actors in the food chain to prevent, reduce and manage food loss and waste, and change consumer behavior.
- Increase efficiency along the entire food supply chain to avoid discarding safe and nutritious products etc.
In cooperation with FAO, the project, Reduction of Food Loss and Waste in SEC Countries (GCP/SEC/015/TUR) are also implemented. The project aims at food loss and waste (FLW) reduction in the context of national food systems and climate change. The project aims at food loss and waste (FLW) reduction in the context of national food systems and climate change.The project has a regional component, which consists of a FLW reduction campaign, an interactive partnership network.
Nourish All People
Zeynep ORAL and Dr. Burçak YÜKSEL, Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry
Reduction of food losses and waste
National food systems
Commitments to action Healthy Diets from Sustainable Food Systems for Children and all Coalition EAT, GAIN, EAT, WWF, WHO, UNICEF, FAO, WFP, UNEP, Sweden, Denmark,