Commitments to action
Inclusive Seed Systems
Ministry of Agriculture, Nature and Food Quality and Ministry of Foreign Trade and Development Cooperation, International Seed Federation, Plantum, GAIN
- Networks and new initiatives. Establish or enhance seed value chains where various initiatives and stakeholders can connect, share, and grow together. Build bridges between the diversity of stakeholders and encourage them to jointly commit to sustainable development.
- Knowledge sharing. Strengthen the capacity of relevant stakeholders in the private and public sector to support the development of the seed value chain and associated decision support tools. Scale the transfer of technology and expertise in partner countries, supported through formal education, E-blended learning platforms, farmer field schools.
- Capacity development.
- Strengthen capacity and understanding of the importance of seed choice and diverse forms of cultivation and agronomic practices, incl. participatory variety selection and breeding.
- Provide training and information on seed management, including the optimal use of high-quality seeds, to enable farmers to increase productivity while promoting seed systems adapted for local context and opportunities.
- Support farmers to anticipate, plan actions for disaster and risk management in the context of climate change.
- Enabling environment. Support the development of an inclusive (diversity of varieties, including farmers varieties) and enabling environment, that includes seed legislation, variety release, plant variety protection, phytosanitary regulations, seed import, agricultural finance, and agricultural advisory and extension services. Supporting the participation of farmers in decision-making.
- Develop a framework for constructive and inclusive discussions, among multiple stakeholders to progress towards equitable, inclusive, and sustainable seed systems that support choice for farmers to meet their needs and preferences.
Nourish All People
Kim van Seeters, Astrid Mastenbroek, Ministry of Agriculture, Nature and Food Quality and Ministry of Foreign Trade and Development Cooperation
Resilient and sustainable seed systems
Innovation and access to quality seeds
Global food security & nutrition