Commitments to action
Creating Shared Prosperity by Empowering Vulnerable People Involved in Food Systems
United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO))
Creating shared prosperity through inclusive and sustainable industrial development is one of the strategic priorities of the United Nations Industrial Development Organization. UNIDO works to advance the economic transformation of countries, improve employment and income opportunities, and reinforce sustainable livelihoods. UNIDO is committed to eliminating poverty by promoting gainful and productive employment and livelihoods for all actors, especially women and youth, in the food systems. We make the following commitments:
- UNIDO continues to concentrate its efforts on the development of agro-industries increasing the participation of women and youth in productive activities.
- UNIDO continues to promote sustainable and inclusive livelihood and business opportunities of the rural poor through agri-business and agro-value chain development.
- UNIDO continues to nurture entrepreneurial skills and competencies of women and youth, promote business start-ups, strengthen business support services, and improve the regulatory business environment through policy support and capacity-building activities.
- UNIDO continues to deliver technical and vocational education and training (TVET) that responds to market needs and creates on-, off- and non-farm employment opportunities, particularly for youth and women.
- UNIDO continues to support the organization of self-help producer groups along the food value chains, build the financial, technical, and managerial capacity of such groups, and empower them to register as formal associations.
- UNIDO continues to support micro, small and medium enterprises along the food value chains encouraging them to transform from the informal sector to the formal sector and promoting agribusiness clusters as an effective way to link smallholder producers with large-scale markets.
- UNIDO continues to ensure equitable access to quality digital tools and services for vulnerable communities and marginalized groups to promote digital inclusion.
- UNIDO continues to apply gender mainstreaming strategies to respond to the needs of women and girls and help them to materialize their economic potential and improve their standard of living.
- UNIDO continues to deliver the above services to the vulnerable people affected by different forms of crisis including violent conflicts to build their resilience and to ensure we ‘leave no one behind in pursuit of sustainable and inclusive industrial development.
Advance Equitable Livelihoods, Decent Work, & Empowered Communities